Monday, April 02, 2007

6 month checkup

We had Oliver's 6 month checkup today. He weighs 18 pounds, 14 ounces and is 27 inches long, his head was 17 3/4 inches! He's doing very well for his age, doing all the things he's supposed to like rolling over, sitting up, and manipulating objects. The doctor told us we can go to stage 2 foods (except no meat) now, 3 times a day! She said cut down on the milk and feed him more solids because she doesn't want him to "be a tank". Well I think he looks great...see the picture in my previous post. You can see his neck most of the time now and his belly doesn't hang over his pants like it used to. He only got 3 shots today but he did SOOOO well! He cried a little bit at the first two (in his legs) and then he cried a lot when she did the one in his arm. We gave him a bottle right after and he calmed right down.

We stopped at the grocery store on the way home and got him some mixed veggies (stage 2) and apricot with mixed fruit (stage 2). Don't worry, I checked to make sure he had already had all the ingredients before and each one had one new ingredient. We tried the mixed veggies for lunch and he liked it. It tasted kind of icky to me though. It was a bit thicker than the stage 1.

We also got a gum brush to brush his little gummers and teeth. It comes with special flouride free toothpaste but she said we didn't have to use it. I suppose we should brush him once a day? twice? I don't know. I guess once would be fine. He's never had a problem and we usually just swab out his mouth with a washcloth when we give him a bath. He's never had thrush or anything.

2 comments:

Aileara said...

I'm so glad Oliver got a great report at the doctor's, and did so well with the shots - Braeden goes on Wednesday. Oliver looks awesome in his new summer attire. Ya gotta love those sunglasses. I don't know about how often you need to brush his gums and teeth. We're still at the wash cloth swabbing stage.

Montreal Mama said...

I got the Gerber gum brush that says 3 months plus, and the first time (and only time so far) that I've used it while he was in a bath (I put a little bit of the fluoride free toothpaste stuff on it), Sean threw up. Not sure if it was because he gaged on the cleaning of the roof of his mouth, or he just had to throw up. At least he was in the tub, so that was a FAST and EASY clean up! I hope this doesnt happen again the next time.

Glad Oli's 6 mos check up went well! Can't wait for Sean's 4 month check up (he'll be 4 months 2 weeks when that happens), I'm dying to know how much he weighs now! LOL. But he's outgrowing his 13 lbs outfits, so I'm sure he's somewhere well over 14 lbs now!