Wednesday, January 27, 2010

New year's resolution

One of my resolutions this year was to cut out all artificial sweeteners. It's turning out to be insanely hard - a lot harder than I thought it would be. There is High Fructose Corn Syrup in everything!
One trick I've learned is to shop the edges of the grocery store and make short "away missions" into the middle for items that are really necessary.
There's not a single gum in the checkout aisle that's not made with aspartame. There's even HFCS in jelly! I finally found a low sugar jelly that's only made with sugar and it's the best jelly I've ever had! I've found them in spaghetti sauce, pasta dishes, frozen entrees...all kinds of things you would think were safe really aren't. I've actually cut down on all types of sweets just because they are all made with those artificial sweeteners. Now a treat is a banana, an apple, maybe a sweet potato with cinnamon. Instead of waffles with syrup we have waffles with berries or yogurt. Instead of boxed macaroni and cheese now we have homemade - with REAL cheese! We still have sandwiches but with less sugar. No more sodas in this house, just 100% juices - and we water those down 50/50 to reduce the intake of regular sugar.
I've already lost 3 pounds on this "diet". I just read an article that says adults eat 22 teaspoons of sugar every day. Do you think that's impossible?! Keep track for a day - every 4 grams is equal to one teaspoon.

No comments: