Monday, September 18, 2006

Ollie update

We had a home visit from the Guilford Co Health Dept today to check on Ollie. The nurse weighed him and checked him out from head to toe. He weighs 6 pounds 1 oz now! That means since last week he's gained 9 oz. He has a little bit of diaper rash, but that's pretty standard I guess. His reflexes and temperature were good, too. She went over some general information and asked a lot of questions. Overall though, he's doing very well!

He is latching a lot better today. Yesterday I got very frustrated because he didn't latch at all. Today at his first feeding he latched right away and ate for 10 minutes on one side and 15 on the other. This feeding he did 5 minutes on each side. I'm glad he's getting better at it. I was starting to feel like a big fat failure.

I'm starving all the time. I guess because when you are making milk you just use so many calories, but for goodness sake. I feel like I need to eat all the time. Right now I'm eating some of the Tater Tot Casserole that Dolly made. It's actually pretty yummy!

Tomorrow will be my first day by myself. Bob has to go to work and no one is coming to stay with me. I'm not really nervous about it at all. Everything has gone really well so far. I usually sleep til noon anyway, so most of the day will be gone and it won't be that long until Bob gets home when I get up. I know that sounds lazy, but it's just because I get up every 3 hours to feed the little bug. It's very hard work!

1 comment:

Jennboree said...

Oh, I thought Ollie seemed to be tiny tiny! My daughter was 5lbs 6oz when we left the hospital, it was a bit overwhelming and unexpected to have such an itty-bitty being!

Glad the breastfeeding is going better. It is a learning process for both of you! One other huge benefit of nursing is you'll drop weight like nobody's business :)