Friday, September 28, 2007

trying out some new recipes...

I got the new Parents magazine a few weeks ago and they had some really yummy looking soup recipes that I wanted to try. The next time I went out I got all the ingredients and cooked them up and they were really super!
The first one I made was Mac & Cheese soup - it's chicken broth with shredded cheese, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and macaroni (recipe calls for shells). I used fresh veggies instead of frozen (as called for in the recipe) and I used more cheese than it said, too. The only thing I would do differently is add chicken to it next time.
The other day I made Taco Soup. It was fantastic! It's made with beef broth, corn, ground beef (although I used ground turkey), black beans, taco seasoning, and tomato. I modified it a little bit, with the turkey and added black beans and pinto beans to make it thicker. I also used salsa instead of tomato. It was just the right spicy the way I made it. Of course, we dipped tortilla chips in it. The only thing I would do differently next time is to use half as much broth. The broth makes it harder to use as a dip. It was really good by itself too, though. I also shredded some cheese on top of Bob's when I served it. I think maybe you could mix a little sour cream in, too, and that wouldn't be too bad.
I would have posted the actual recipes but I can't find the magazine right now...maybe later.

No comments: