Monday, June 16, 2008

A big update...if I have time

It's been a long time and a lot has happened.

The weekend I was at my dad's I was on a special high sugar/high carb diet because I had to take the 3 hour glucose tolerance test. You only have to take this if you fail the one hour test, so I was a bit concerned, but not overly so. I got there and sat for four hours and had blood drawn 4 times. Of course after they sugar you up for 3 days they starve you for 12 hours before the test so I was soooo hungry. After the 4th stick with a needle they sent me on my way and said I should hear the results in a few days. That was Monday. On Thursday my dr's office called and said I needed to come see the dr. that day - would 2:45 or 4:15 be better. Well, this made me a bit more worried so I took the 2:45 and we headed over. (Bob and Oliver were with me) They told me I failed the 3 hour test and that meant that I have Gestational Diabetes. So now I'm considered a "high risk" pregnancy - which means no more midwives for me. :-( They are sending me to a nutritionist (tomorrow) so I know what I can and can't eat and also how much or little I should exercise. I guess it wasn't THAT bad of a failure if I don't have to take insulin or anything, but I will have to check my blood sugar throughout the day. That means I'll have to stick myself with a needle...something I'm NOT looking forward to. They also said that I am now at a higher risk to develop diabetes as I get older. Hopefully that won't happen but I'll definately be keeping a closer eye on my diet even AFTER Roy is born. I'm not really sure how this will change my plans for labor and delivery, I was too flustered to ask, but I have to go every week to see the dr now so I will ask them at my next appointment.
This also sucks because all I crave is candy and ice cream and chocolate!

In Oliver news he's using the potty pretty regularly in the morning until after his nap but after the nap he doesn't seem to care anymore. I've tried everything to get him to remember to tell me he has to go but nothing has worked so far. The good news, though, is that I haven't had to change a poopy diaper for about 5 days! I tried him in the training pants today but I'm not sure he's ready for them. I explained what they were, called them "cool dude" pants, and told him cool dudes only pee in the potty. He then proceeded to tell me he had to go potty every few minutes and then when I got him there he wouldn't go. Maybe it's because the training pants feel different than a diaper? Any advice would be appreciated!

He's picked up so many new words, he's just a chatterbox! He talks all day long and now he tells stories...for example he'll say Daddy, truck, drive, working...or he'll say walk, strolly, puppy...which means Daddy is at work driving his truck or that he did/wants to walk in his stroller with the puppy. When we're driving he names everything he sees.

We are still working on colors. He gets them sometimes but I just don't think he cares that much. He gets green most of the time, and blue and red sometimes. Yellow, orange, black and white are completely out most of the time - usually he calls them red. He does know that Daddy's truck is black, though.

We've started getting up early when it's still cool and walking around the block a few times. Saturday we did two laps, today we did 3. Three laps is just under a mile so I thought that was pretty good. We met the lady on the next street who has 4 boys, one of which is just about Oliver's age and she said she would come walking with us some days. She didn't come out today so I guess she was either busy or she didn't see us. I told her what time we'd be around so if we keep our schedule then we'll eventually meet up.

I guess that's all for now. I'm going to try to update more often. I've been obsessed with facebook lately and spent all my time there instead of here.


Aileara said...

Really sorry about your gestational diabetes. I'm a Type 2 diabetic, and believe me, sticking yourself to do blood tests several times a day isn't as bad as it sounds. I know the nutritionist will give you some great food choice ideas. Throw in some walking and you should be able to keep it under control. Hopefully it won't progress to type 2 down the road.

We're working with the potty too, but haven't had much luck so far. Brae's used it a few times, but not regularly. He usually runs for it after the fact. His timing's not too good yet.

Hang in there and keep us posted. You're in the homestretch.

carriewv said...

Hang in there! You don't have too much further to go. I go in for the GD test next week and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good news that you don't have to give yourself insulin shots everyday at least. Noel and I are thinking about you guys and know that you will have a beautiful baby! PS That pic of Oliver hugging your dad is so cute!

Knit & Purl Mama said...

i heart facebook! LOL

glad to hear you guys are doing good.

sorry to hear about your GD. I've heard it's not so bad though to manage!

Sedie said...

Hey there, I had gestational with Vlad, don't worry, it can be a bit of a pain, but I think you'll do fine. The combinations of food they give you work well. By the time I'd been on the diet for about 4 weeks, my sugar was so controlled it never spiked and showed any signs on the monitor until Vlad was born about two months after I started the diet. . . that that was being on bedrest with very little exercise options.

I know you will do what you need to and all will be well! You only have a few more weeks, so hang in there knowing you have lots of support!