Tuesday, December 19, 2006

updates

I tried to put Oliver in his crib to sleep for the first time last night. I rocked him until he fell asleep, then very carefully put him in the crib. I crept into bed and turned up the monitor nice and loud so I could hear every noise (not that I couldn't anyway, his door is directly across from mine and both beds are right inside the door). I laid there for a few minutes, then I really got upset. I felt like I had abandoned him. What if he woke up and was scared because he was all alone? What if he kicked his blankie off and got cold? what if he needed me and I was WAY OVER HERE?!?!?!?! Of course, he only slept there for about 15 minutes, then he started wailing and I ran in to get him and appologized about a zillion time for leaving him all alone. Needless to say he spent the rest of the night sleeping right where he could see me.
Then again, he slept for ***8 hours*** That's a first. It was so nice. From midnight to 8 in the morning. Then he ate and slept for another hour and a half. Hopefully this will be a trend. For the past few nights before that he had been sleeping for 5 hours, getting up to eat, and then sleeping another 4 hours. That was pretty nice, too.
Tomorrow we have to finish our Christmas shopping and send everything off. I don't think I'll be doing the secret Santa thing with my dad's family next year. I have such a hard time trying to find something to get for people that I see MAYBE twice a year. Oh well, they are all getting the same thing this year. I hope they like it.

4 comments:

M said...

Maggie- Where does Oliver sleep when he's in your room?

Maggie said...

he sleeps next to me in the bed most of the time. Sometimes he sleeps in the bassinet that's next to the bed.

Aileara said...

Our little guy is 3 months old (born Sept. 21). He's been sleeping in the nursery in his crib at night since day 1, and has been sleeping through the night for the past week (9-10 hours). I felt very guilty at first, but I forced myself to do it, and it's worked well for us. Everyone's different - I hope you're able to get him to sleep in his crib when you're both ready. You're not abandoning him. I know it feels that way though.

Jennboree said...

Everyone is different. My 2 1/2 month sleeps with me and my 2 1/2 yr old did until she was a year. My infant wakes once in the night to nurse, then sleeps till 6:30am for a snack and back to sleep for three more hours. I love it!!

We are one of few societies who put babies in their own room so early. I"m not a believer in it. My children are babies for such a short time and as long as we all sleep, who cares where it is??

It is recommended that babies sleep at least in the parents' room for the first six months. I'm in total agreement with that!